Re: 2.25 Freeze getting slushy soon

On 01/01/2017 04:40 AM, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> On Sunday 01 January 2017 02:08 AM, David Edelsohn wrote:
>> So GLIBC developers are not allowed any time for vacations? They are
>> not allowed to spend any time with their family and loved ones during
>> the Christmas and New Years holidays?  Maybe measuring progress during
>> a holiday period is not good common sense.
>
> The freeze dates were decided well in advance and I had asked multiple
> times in the past (like my older thread about the freeze warning or even
> a passing comment I made at the Cauldron about crickets reviewing code
> during year end holidays) if anybody would like an extension or
> prioritization in reviews but the only person to respond made the case
> for *not* extending the freeze deadline.
>
> Despite that I am kinda toeing the line now by asking people if they
> still want an extension for patches that are in flight and will make it
> in a determinate amount of time (say, within a week) so I would see this
> as an opportunity to make a case for the patchset and not complain about
> things that you could have had a say in had you spoken up earlier.
>
> Siddhesh
>
> PS: As for the holidays themselves, please also be cognizant of the fact
> that other contributors around the world may have holidays during other
> times of the year when they prefer to spend time with their family and
> loved ones.

I agree with Siddhesh, there are many holidays all throughout the year,
and the glibc freeze is only for new features. If you want to take time off
during the end of December you need to plan _NEW_ feature development to
happen earlier or push it into the next development cycle which starts on
February 1st.

The freeze still allows bug fixing so you can fix bugs to your hearts content
during January after returning from a wonderful vacation with family and friends.

As always we are open to feedback about the schedule.

Carlos.