Re: How should files be moved in the glibc repository

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 2:39 PM, Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> wrote:
> On Nov 28 2016, Steve Ellcey <sellcey@caviumnetworks.com> wrote:
>> I found my problem.  I was doing 'git diff' and not 'git diff HEAD'.
>
> You should create a commit and then use format-patch.

if sending to the list, i'd recommend using the -C/-M options -- it
makes the diff much easier to read/follow.  it'll just show metadata
lines indicating the rename rather than two full diffs -- one showing
you deleting the original and one showing you adding the new one.

i think setting the git-config diff.renames option Zack referenced to
"copy" will get you automatic -C behavior.  personally i create an
alias like:
$ git config --global alias.format-patch "format-patch -C -M"
-mike