Re: glibc 2.24 -- Release blockers

On 07/14/2016 11:09 AM, Torvald Riegel wrote:
On Thu, 2016-07-14 at 10:59 +0200, Andreas Schwab wrote:
Torvald Riegel <triegel@redhat.com> writes:

I can't remember other cases of us not making reasonable changes because
not making them hides bugs in other projects.  Why would emacs be an
exception?

It isn't an exception.  It is an unresolved problem.

If there are no cases that are similar, and we generally treat
user-program bugs differently, it is an exception.  Do you have examples
in other programs that we treated similarly?

The story around memcpy@@GLIBC_2.14 is similar. We added an optimization to a new symbol version only. This kept old and buggy binaries working, but you could no longer copy new binaries to an older, pre-2.14 system and run it there (which usually works, although it is technically unsupported). So in this case, we rated compatibility with buggy applications higher than user convenience.

I'm not sure if we have ever done something like that to hide bugs in applications which were compiled from source after a glibc update.

Florian