Re: [RFC] Forcing 64-bits __OFF_T_TYPE and __INO_T_TYPE for new 32-bit architectures?

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> Shouldn't blkcnt_t, fsblkcnt_t, and fsfilcnt_t also get this
> treatment?

Yes, it would be desirable for struct {stat,statfs,statvfs} to match so
that relevant functions can be aliases.  More *MATCHES* macros and
corresponding implementation would be needed to cause the functions to be
aliases, since much such aliasing is implemented through wordsize-64
sysdeps directories at present.

> (And anything else affected by -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 that
> I missed.) And, while we're at it, time_t?

For time_t, again, make sure to avoid the x32 mistake with a
non-POSIX-conforming type for nanoseconds (you can have endian-appropriate
explicit padding if you want to match a 64-bit ABI, but tv_nsec should
have type "long" and the kernel needs to ignore the padding on input).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com