This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH v3] libio: use PTR_MANGLE/PTR_DEMANGLE for FILE vtables
- From: Kees Cook <keescook at chromium dot org>
- To: Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat dot com>
- Cc: libc-alpha <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>, Mike Frysinger <vapier at gentoo dot org>, Adam Conrad <adconrad at 0c3 dot net>, Joseph Myers <joseph at codesourcery dot com>, Yunlian Jiang <yunlian at google dot com>
- Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 10:13:46 -0700
- Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] libio: use PTR_MANGLE/PTR_DEMANGLE for FILE vtables
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20160524165854 dot GA32022 at www dot outflux dot net> <0ebd00c0-7bbb-dbc5-d3e7-7fa6ba83c376 at redhat dot com>
On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 1:29 AM, Florian Weimer <email@example.com> wrote:
> On 05/24/2016 06:58 PM, Kees Cook wrote:
>> + [libio_compatibility=no])
> I really don't think we want to do this by default, at least not for i386.
> Existing policy is to maintain the ABI, even doing so is not cheap.
Okay, so send a v3 that inverts this to --disable-libio-compatibility
> I think we need a follow-up patch which removes the symbols which are now
> incompatible from the ABI, so that programs which are broken by this
> configuration receive an explicit error message.
I have no idea how/where to do this. :) Hints?
Chrome OS & Brillo Security