This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH v3] libio: use PTR_MANGLE/PTR_DEMANGLE for FILE vtables
- From: Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat dot com>
- To: Kees Cook <keescook at chromium dot org>, libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Cc: Mike Frysinger <vapier at gentoo dot org>, Adam Conrad <adconrad at 0c3 dot net>, Joseph Myers <joseph at codesourcery dot com>, Yunlian Jiang <yunlian at google dot com>
- Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 10:29:25 +0200
- Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] libio: use PTR_MANGLE/PTR_DEMANGLE for FILE vtables
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20160524165854 dot GA32022 at www dot outflux dot net>
On 05/24/2016 06:58 PM, Kees Cook wrote:
I really don't think we want to do this by default, at least not for
i386. Existing policy is to maintain the ABI, even doing so is not cheap.
I think we need a follow-up patch which removes the symbols which are
now incompatible from the ABI, so that programs which are broken by this
configuration receive an explicit error message.