This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [RFC6 PATCH v6 00/21] ILP32 for ARM64
- From: Joseph Myers <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Szabolcs Nagy <szabolcs dot nagy at arm dot com>
- Cc: Yury Norov <ynorov at caviumnetworks dot com>, <arnd at arndb dot de>, <catalin dot marinas at arm dot com>, <linux-arm-kernel at lists dot infradead dot org>, <linux-kernel at vger dot kernel dot org>, <nd at arm dot com>, <linux-arch at vger dot kernel dot org>, <linux-s390 at vger dot kernel dot org>, <pinskia at gmail dot com>, <Prasun dot Kapoor at caviumnetworks dot com>, <schwab at suse dot de>, <broonie at kernel dot org>, <linux-doc at vger dot kernel dot org>, <heiko dot carstens at de dot ibm dot com>, <agraf at suse dot de>, <klimov dot linux at gmail dot com>, <bamvor dot zhangjian at huawei dot com>, <schwidefsky at de dot ibm dot com>, <Nathan_Lynch at mentor dot com>, <christoph dot muellner at theobroma-systems dot com>, GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 15:40:47 +0000
- Subject: Re: [RFC6 PATCH v6 00/21] ILP32 for ARM64
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1459894127-17698-1-git-send-email-ynorov at caviumnetworks dot com> <573B0A4D dot 4090704 at arm dot com>
On Tue, 17 May 2016, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> i think even legacy software should be able to deal with 64bit off_t,
> so we could avoid having two sets of filesystem apis or is 64bit-only
> off_t more work to do in linux/glibc?
wordsize-64 directories generally expect 64-bit interfaces. wordsize-32
directories generally expect that there are two sets of filesystem APIs
which are not aliased (at the userspace level - the versions for the
generic syscall API deal with setting EOVERFLOW in userspace as needed).
The "wordsize" concept is not wonderfully well-defined and could do with
being split up into multiple better-defined concepts, but that's obvious
something pretty tricky to get right, involving a very careful analysis of
the existing code.
Joseph S. Myers