This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: Expected semantics of versioned symbol resolution
- From: Andreas Schwab <schwab at linux-m68k dot org>
- To: Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat dot com>
- Cc: GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Mon, 09 May 2016 22:35:45 +0200
- Subject: Re: Expected semantics of versioned symbol resolution
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <5730E522 dot 2060700 at redhat dot com>
Florian Weimer <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
> The current ld.so behavior seems far from uniform. Existing binaries
> reference pthread_mutex_lock, version GLIBC_2.2.5, soname libc.so.6. Yet
> we clearly expect that these are bound to the pthread_mutex_lock in
> libpthread.so.0, not the one in libc.so.6, once libpthread is loaded
> (irrespective of the link order).
Do they? Note that the functions defined in nptl/forward.c forward the
calls to libpthread once the latter is loaded, but are no-ops otherwise.
The binding doesn't change from what was recorded during linking.
Andreas Schwab, email@example.com
GPG Key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756 01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5
"And now for something completely different."