This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH 1/3] localedata: use same comment_char/escape_char in these files
- From: Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddress at gmail dot com>
- To: Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddress at gmail dot com>, Marko Myllynen <myllynen at redhat dot com>, libc-alpha <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>, "Carlos O'Donell" <carlos at redhat dot com>, Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat dot com>
- Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 22:49:21 -0400
- Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3] localedata: use same comment_char/escape_char in these files
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1455954855-26431-1-git-send-email-vapier at gentoo dot org> <20160225201222 dot GK19841 at vapier dot lan> <20160309222439 dot GZ6588 at vapier dot lan> <56E29E8F dot 50209 at redhat dot com> <CAHdAatZoQ-G0Y-m1O0+vjysCT++Nek_kKdfMc5FQoH3MPZL9PA at mail dot gmail dot com> <56E40938 dot 3010708 at redhat dot com> <CAHdAataOaNnE1Sst9F3e-nFjtPxyNUUATx-+DsQUgQFzBye2EA at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAHdAata8SwOO4a1QFdG3m1L6238j3eX8zscYqkPtVW6dWiLz=A at mail dot gmail dot com> <20160411185850 dot GL6588 at vapier dot lan> <CAHdAatYPQR2WNoeRq4r6PWemt3_xvRsgbJSuU7OGWth5FXOpTQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <20160412021118 dot GP6588 at vapier dot lan>
On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 10:11 PM, Mike Frysinger <email@example.com> wrote:
> my only clarification/semi-counter point is that getting languages into
> CLDR probably has a wider impact than only getting into glibc. that db
> is pulled by a significant number of projects/companies (and i know for
> a fact it's used internally at Google in conjunction with ICU). if it's
> only glibc though, that impact is entirely limited to people using glibc
> as i don't think there's that many people downstream from glibc's locale
> db. and we want to try to automate/smooth the process for adding any of
> the locales that exist in CLDR today but not glibc.
> tl;dr: locales in glibc might get short term returns, but CLDR is the
> only long term answer.
I totally get the utility of CLDR, but I know of 2-3 million users
that are directly downstream of glibc locales on Sugar/GNOME dual-boot
XO laptops. Those users span an incredible array of languages that
are not commonly used on computers, yet. Those laptops have shown
remarkable longevity in the field, I've just loaded a newly minted
build on a ten year old XO-1 and it runs like a charm. My two main
reasons for swimming upstream to this project are to help those users
and to "show some love" to the upstream.
Nonetheless, I am onboard with the dual-tracking of locale development
to maximize utility and minimize re-work.