This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH v2] Remove union wait
- From: Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat dot com>
- To: Andreas Schwab <schwab at suse dot de>, "Carlos O'Donell" <carlos at redhat dot com>
- Cc: Roland McGrath <roland at hack dot frob dot com>, libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 14:56:12 +0200
- Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] Remove union wait
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <56BE07C8 dot 40205 at redhat dot com> <20160307225511 dot 093E92C3BF5 at topped-with-meat dot com> <56DEA20E dot 3040907 at redhat dot com> <56FBBCAF dot 7090806 at redhat dot com> <20160330223228 dot 6A7382C3C54 at topped-with-meat dot com> <56FC5A6C dot 8090408 at redhat dot com> <mvmy48z5dc2 dot fsf at hawking dot suse dot de>
On 03/31/2016 09:14 AM, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Carlos O'Donell <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
>> On 03/30/2016 06:32 PM, Roland McGrath wrote:
>>> I think the blocker here is clear consensus that a one-cycle removal of a
>>> feature from the API without any broadcasted deprecation period is OK.
>>> I'd like some other senior maintainers to explicitly agree with that before
>>> we go ahead based just on the direct review of the change itself.
>> IMO a one-cycle removal is OK IFF a distribution has gone through a full build
>> cycle with the deprecation patch applied and found no serious problems in the
>> existing corpus of package sources.
> I've now set up
> <https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:Andreas_Schwab:glibc> to
> rebuild all packages from
> against a patched glibc. The latter project contains the packages that
> we use for testing all updates for our openSUSE Tumbleweed distribution.
> You can monitor progress at
I looked at the output. If I read it correctly, the situation is like this:
The only build failure attributable to the “union wait” removal is tcsh.
It just needs fixing.
For readdir_r, we were opting for a staged removal (flag it as
deprecated, then remove it after it is gone from POSIX). But the
deprecation warning itself causes build failures. This is the majority
of the failed builds Andreas' build service lists.
To me, this suggests to proceed with the “union wait” removal.