This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH v2] Remove union wait
- From: Carlos O'Donell <carlos at redhat dot com>
- To: Roland McGrath <roland at hack dot frob dot com>
- Cc: Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat dot com>, libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2016 21:17:55 -0400
- Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] Remove union wait
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <56BE07C8 dot 40205 at redhat dot com> <20160307225511 dot 093E92C3BF5 at topped-with-meat dot com> <56DEA20E dot 3040907 at redhat dot com> <56FBBCAF dot 7090806 at redhat dot com> <20160330223228 dot 6A7382C3C54 at topped-with-meat dot com> <56FC5A6C dot 8090408 at redhat dot com> <20160401212930 dot A455C2C3C56 at topped-with-meat dot com>
On 04/01/2016 05:29 PM, Roland McGrath wrote:
>> Given that we have not done done a build cycle in a distribution I think the
>> most conservative step is a staged removal. I think your original instinct is
>> the best way forward e.g. removal in 2.25.
> Do you have a precise definition of "staged removal" in mind?
> My first guess at what this means is that now (for 2.24) we add
> __attribute_deprecated__ to the 'union wait' type definition, and then
> shortly after 2.24 branches we remove it entirely. I'm not sure about
> documentation changes.
Exactly that. Deprecate in one release. Remove in the next.
For documentation you would need to make sure the manual is updated if
it contains any references, and update the Release/2.24 and Release/2.25
wiki pages to mention the deprecation and removal.