Re: deprecated sunrpc and rpc/netdb.h

On 17 Mar 2016 14:11, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On 17 Mar 2016 16:01, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 17, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > > other than fixing glibc to not install rpc/netdb.h (or any other
> > > rpc related header) when rpc is disabled, i'm not seeing what the
> > > fuss is about.
> >
> > The fuss is about allowing a smooth transition from glibc
> > sunrpc to an external tirpc.
> > Why do you think all Linux distributions do compile glibc with
> > --enable-obsolete-rpc?
> > Do you really think that this will change if there is not
> > a smooth transition path?
> > Even if you think RPC is dead and not in wide use, I'm
> > not aware of any Linux distribution which is able to
> > work without RPC. And for this reason, a switch to something
> > else will never happen if it is a huge amount of work for
> > them and they will additional suffer from missing features
> > afterwards.
> > Why should they do it?
>
> the smooth transition plan is for tirpc to provide the full API.  if
> glibc turns off the exported symbols (which --disable-obsolete-rpc
> does), then there is no "smooth" transition -- your code fails to link
> entirely if you aren't supporting tirpc.  stub headers do not make it
> any easier ... if anything, it makes it harder.
>
> i'm fully aware of the level of pain seen in distros as i've sent/made
> many patches to packages that are in Gentoo.
>
> and yes, Gentoo works just fine w/out rpc.  this is also easy to find
> out by using alternative C libraries like uClibc & musl which have long
> allowed you to disable RPC (or never included it in the first place).
>
> i think you're overstating the impact.

to clarify: the *only* reason Gentoo didn't leave RPC disabled in glibc
is purely because libtirpc isn't a full replacement.  as soon as that
situation changes, RPC is being disabled in Gentoo's glibc.

also: nothing is stopping you from *today* sending fixes to projects to
have them use libtirpc.  that'll work regardless of the glibc status.
-mike