This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH 2/3] posix: execvpe cleanup
- From: Paul Eggert <eggert at cs dot ucla dot edu>
- To: Adhemerval Zanella <adhemerval dot zanella at linaro dot org>, libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 15:17:54 -0800
- Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/3] posix: execvpe cleanup
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1456495001-5298-1-git-send-email-adhemerval dot zanella at linaro dot org> <1456495001-5298-3-git-send-email-adhemerval dot zanella at linaro dot org> <56D0A9CC dot 4080608 at cs dot ucla dot edu> <56D0BA5D dot 5080103 at linaro dot org> <56D1D737 dot 6050205 at linaro dot org>
Adhemerval Zanella wrote:
according to POSIX , "argv should point to a filename string that
is associated with the process being started by one of the exec functions"
Sure, but in this context the word "should" is talking about (as POSIX puts it)
"a feature or behavior that is recommended programming practice for optimum
portability." A conforming application is not required to follow the
recommendation, and in order to conform to POSIX glibc must support applications
that do not follow the recommendation but otherwise conform.
My source for the above quote: