This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH] bits/socket.h: Define struct sockaddr with may_alias attribute [BZ #19622]
- From: Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat dot com>
- To: libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 17:51:06 +0100
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] bits/socket.h: Define struct sockaddr with may_alias attribute [BZ #19622]
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <56BDDAE2 dot 70308 at redhat dot com>
On 02/12/2016 02:15 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> It is quite common to use struct sockaddr * as an opaque, void *-like
> type for socket addresses. The POSIX API encourages to some degree.
> Marek Polacek suggested to add the may_alias attribute to the definition
> of struct sockaddr.
> Support for that was introduced in GCC 4.0, so I added a conditional to
I've been told off-list to move the attribute right after the struct,
and this is the version I will commit if approved.
This patch is a result of the Fedora mass rebuild with GCC 6, where we
now see a lot of warnings related to this (potential) aliasing violation.