Re: Linux-abi group

On Thu, 11 Feb 2016, Suprateeka R Hegde wrote:

> H.J,
>
> I think we are fragmenting with too many standards and mailing lists. This new
> discussion group and eventually the resulting standards, all might be put
> under LSB http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/lsb.shtml
>
> The Intro on LSB says:
> http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/LSB_5.0.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-generic/elfintro.html
>
> And thats what this proposal is intended for.
>
> And we can use the LSB mailing list
> https://lists.linux-foundation.org/mailman/listinfo/lsb-discuss for all
> discussions.
>
> What do you think?

I think that none of the ABI extensions in question are anything to do
with Linux, the kernel.  Rather, they are ABI extensions for userspace in
the GNU system, which apply the same under multiple kernels (but some of
them may well not apply to Android systems using the Linux kernel, for
example, if the Bionic C library and dynamic linker lack the relevant
features).  Thus it would be more appropriate for a mailing list to be
hosted on sourceware or Savannah, and for any resulting documents to refer
to GNU, not to Linux.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com