Re: Requiring Linux 3.2 for glibc 2.24

> On 02/09/2016 03:54 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> On 02/09/2016 03:36 PM, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
>>
>>> I am in favor of that. That said when have we tried to do so in Debian
>>> stretch/sid (which will be released in 2017), people started to
>>>complain
>>> loudly that it breaks openvz. We had to revert the change given a lot
>>>of
>>> VPS providers are using openvz.
>>>
>>> It seems that openvz is currently not ported on more recent kernels
>>>than
>>> 2.6.32 and that it will be supported until 2019 for SLES11 and 2020 for
>>> RHEL7. This unfortunately doesn't encourage openvz to move to newer
>>> kernels.
>>
>> I've got access to a Virtuozzo container which runs on a commercially
>> supported (?) 3.10 kernel variant.
>

> It turns out it's lying about the kernel version:
>

> <https://bugs.openvz.org/browse/OVZ-5843>
>

> Oh dear.
>

> Florian
Yep, we have to do this in order still allow OpenVZ users to run desired
software
inside Containers. Unfortunately, they will to run brand new Linux
distributions
every time they appear. :)

Seriously, we wouldn't do these hacks if glibc preserve compatibility with
old
Kernels.

Thank you,
Dmitry.