make tests process failures using /c

I am looking at a 'make tests' bug that seems to be related to
the use of cross-test-ssh.sh.  Tracking down the problem it
seem to happen in the generate_locale function in the
gen-locale.sh script.

Generating locale de_DE.ISO-8859-1: this might take a while...
touch: cannot touch `/home/sellcey/gcc/gcc_cross_testing/obj-mips-mti-linux-gnu/glibc/obj_default/localedata/de_DE.ISO-8859-1/LC_CTYPE': No such file or directory
/bin/sh: line 3: /home/sellcey/gcc/gcc_cross_testing/obj-mips-mti-linux-gnu/glibc/obj_default/localedata/de_DE.ISO-8859-1/LC_CTYPE.test-result: No such file or directory

It looks like this function runs localedef on the target machine
when using cross-test-ssh.sh but then it runs touch on the
host machine to make sure the file exists and that the timestamp
is good.  That touch is failing because the host machine does
not see the file that was created.  The file is there, I can see
if after looking for it after the make fails and the path to it
is the same on the host and target machines.  I have also verified
that both the host and target machines are running nntp and that
the times are in sync (to some level of accuracy).

If I change the touch to 'ssh remote-machine touch' then this
problem goes away but I still get:

Generating locale de_DE.ISO-8859-1: this might take a while...
/bin/sh: line 3: /home/sellcey/gcc/gcc_cross_testing/obj-mips-mti-linux-gnu/glibc/obj_default/localedata/de_DE.ISO-8859-1/LC_CTYPE.test-result: No such file or directory

As my failure instead.  I am not sure what to do about that. Has
anyone else seen this problem when using cross-test-ssh.sh?

Steve Ellcey
sellcey@imgtec.com