This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH] BZ #19590: Fixed build of shared objects that use libmvec.so functions
- From: Joseph Myers <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- To: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Andrew Senkevich <andrew dot n dot senkevich at gmail dot com>, Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat dot com>, libc-alpha <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 16:33:41 +0000
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] BZ #19590: Fixed build of shared objects that use libmvec.so functions
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAMXFM3tML81iuKQMKRU-T4Fw0+=sYk0q_BNavMGagt21VcYvzQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <56BB2835 dot 4050907 at redhat dot com> <CAMXFM3s=W79Wp=os1w0FuybqO8ygpQEz0mT=Q0-NDnX3wZTiPQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <56BB3610 dot 4040907 at redhat dot com> <CAMXFM3tzMWSMF-daxnwsFrMA8HyJ6J7k_WZvYciAGzAMusRBhg at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAMe9rOpu141Y_OLPtc8pXVzQqhik6EkQPfk=2PPX7CZ5AmhdLQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAMXFM3vUtxBHCCtZJn-fm1V5cObkyEo8Ow-i3FdLeZs8_BB5xQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAMe9rOocQG9Kc6iVL33rzM7=Xi9CjVSwDc673ophdUuOSS8KJw at mail dot gmail dot com>
On Wed, 10 Feb 2016, H.J. Lu wrote:
> >> I don't think we should put a GCC bug workaround in glibc. It should
> >> be fixed or worked around it in GCC.
> > Since GCC 4.9 vector function name is formed based on asm declaration
> > name, to support that GCC versions we need to have such workaround.
> So it is the part of ABI, isn't it?
It is deliberately only part of the static library ABI, not part of the
shared library ABI, because the shared libraries should not need more than
one internal-namespace exported name for the same interface (and it's a
compiler limitation that the other name exists at all).
Joseph S. Myers