Re: Specific Linux syscalls for glibc API

Pedro Alves <palves@redhat.com> writes:

> In general, I wonder whether helping the cross-compilation use case (of
> portable
> programs, not of glibc itself) should be considered in determining the
> guidelines of
> what/when to wrap and provide in the glibc API (not getrandom in
> particular, but
> in general).  That is, if some entry point is always provided in the glibc
> API that
> may or may not fail with ENOSYS depending on port, then compile/link
> autoconf-style
> checks are no longer sufficient to determine whether a function is
> available, while
> run-time checks obviously don't work when cross compiling.

AC_CHECK_FUNC considers stub functions in glibc as non-existent.  In any
case, whether a function exists in glibc has never been a guarantee that
the running kernel actually provides the necessary syscall.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SUSE Labs, schwab@suse.de
GPG Key fingerprint = 0196 BAD8 1CE9 1970 F4BE  1748 E4D4 88E3 0EEA B9D7