Re: Building consensus over DNSSEC enhancements to glibc.

On 11/17/2015 03:20 AM, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On 11/17/2015 04:19 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>
>>> If that is the only API to be offered, I recommend we patch the
>>> applications with the "postfix method" instead and for now limit
>>> ourselves with dnssec only if localhost is specified in resolv.conf.
>>
>> Why? It will never be enough to guarantee what you want. Such a check
>> is only a heuristic.
>>
>> If you want something more sane we could make a synthetic hwcap bit
>> like we did for Xen's "nosegneg" and use that to alter the behaviour
>> of the stub resolver. This gives you something which would allow you
>> to lock down the called recursive resolver from the very first userspace
>> process. It could also be disabled on a per-process basis if you had
>> a kernel interface for it. We have also had a thread local storage
>> synthetic hwcap bit when we transitioned to using that feature, so
>> there is some precedent.
>>
>> So you'd have:
>>
>> (a) New synthetic hwcap bit "local-validating-resolver" which forces
>>     glibc to only talk to 127.0.0.1 from the very first userspace process.
>>
>> (b) New options flag "dns-strip-dnssec-ad-bit" which forces glibc to
>>     remove AD-bit data.
>>
>> Mix-and-match.
>
> That still does not do fail safe.

Thanks for bringing that up again.

So I am willing to concede flipping the meaning of (b) and defaulting
to always stripping AD-bit if that means we have consensus for a way
forward.

I have background work in the Nuclear industry in Canada and I know
what fail safe means and the value it provides. Both from a certification
*and* usability perspective.

Cheers,
Carlos.