Proposed changes to Bugzilla components

I'd like to propose some changes to glibc Bugzilla components to make it
clearer what bugs belong in what components and to make it easier to find
related bugs by not having so many in the catch-all "libc" component.

First, some suggested changes to descriptions of existing components:

* build is "Build problems, configuration issues, and environment
problems.".  Suggest adding "build and test infrastructure" to this
description (to make clear it includes all issues about deficiencies or
suggested improvements to the testsuite, benchmarks and configure / build
system).

* dynamic-link is "Related to the dynamic loader and all of the
functionality provided by libdl e.g. dlsym, dlopen, dlclose etc. Also
includes the ldconfig utility.".  Suggest making it explicit that
thread-local storage issues are included here.

* math is "The -lm library and code related to math and floating point.".
Suggest adding "(including string / floating-point conversions in libc)".

* network is "Any network-related functionality e.g. getaddrinfo etc.".
Suggest changing "network-related" to "network-related or socket-related"
(sockets may not strictly be networking, but this seems the best place for
issues about generic socket functions).

* ports is "Unofficial CPU and operating system ports, volunteer-supported
only.".  Suggest adding "(obsolete component, do not file new issues
here)", as occasionally people do still file issues in ports, and
components can't be deleted when they have closed bugs.

Next, six suggested new components where there seem to be clear groups of
existing bugs:

* glob "glob, fnmatch and wordexp functions.".

* librt "librt library, e.g. AIO.".

* locale "locale, character set and iconv code (not locale and character
properties data)".  Together with this, in the description of localedata
"Locales, internationalization data, and related code.", remove ", and
related code".  (I think issues with individual locales and with the code
are quite different and require different sorts of expertise to resolve.
iconv issues are unhelpfully split between the libc and localedata
components at present.  localedata has the second highest number of open
bugs so I think it makes sense to try to split it up.)

* nss "Name Service Switch.".

* string "string.h functions, except where locales involved, and
corresponding wchar.h functions".

* time "Everything related to time and timezones.".

Any comments on these, or suggestions for additional components?  Who has
the Bugzilla access required to implement such changes?

I intend to rearrange open bugs into whatever new components are agreed.
Any help cleaning up Bugzilla state is of course very welcome; we could
still do with more people working through open bugs in a particular area
and fixing them.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com