Re: Don't use -Wno-uninitialized in math/

On Thu, 20 Aug 2015, Stan Shebs wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 1:00 PM, Joseph Myers <joseph@codesourcery.com> wrote:
> > The uninitialized variable warnings in math/ having been fixed for all
> > the supported floating-point formats, this patch removes the use of
> > -Wno-uninitialized there, continuing with the goal of avoiding -Wno-
> > options in makefiles as far as possible..
>
> Not sure how you didn't see this, but my fresh build fails with this
> (GCC 4.8.4, Ubuntu 14.04, vanilla configure):

I'm testing with GCC 5.  Maybe newer GCC detects that sign is set under
one "absx >= 0.6743316650390625L" conditional and used under the next such
conditional, so is never actually used uninitialized, but older GCC
doesn't detect that the conditionals are the same?

Anyway, since you're testing with the compiler with which this fails, I
advise submitting a patch that uses the DIAG_* macros from libc-internal.h
to suppress the warning around the specific code that gets the warning,
with a comment explaining why it's a false positive and with 4.8 named as
the version in the call to DIAG_IGNORE_NEEDS_COMMENT.  (Remember that when
disabling -Wmaybe-uninitialized, you need to disable -Wuninitialized
instead if !__GNUC_PREREQ (4, 7), as 4.6 doesn't have
-Wmaybe-uninitialized.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com