Re: [PING] Wordexp benchtest: good, bad and unreliable.

On 06/18/2015 12:34 PM, OndÅej BÃlka wrote:
>> Similarly we will have conflicting workloads modeled as benchmarks, and
>> the hard part is that as an expert we have to make a difficult choice.
>> We have to understand the workload and decide "Yes, we ignore this performance
>> decrease because we expect fewer people will suffer." However, in order
>> to do that we need comments about exactly what workload we're trying to model.
>>
> Thats problem that you need to collect lot of domain knowledge to be
> usable. Problem is that I didn't find yet application that uses it.

mailx uses wordexp to expand folder paths.

> None in particular, just trying to measure performance change.

What about looking at feeding paths into wordexp and using it like mailx
does to do light-weight globbing?

See mailx-12.5/fio.c, where globname uses wordexp to do the expansions,
and also expand as used in the rest of mailx.

Cheers,
Carlos.