Re: git commit message conventions

Joseph Myers wrote:
I propose that we adopt standard git commit message conventions that: the
first line of a commit message is a short description of the commit, the
next line is a blank line, and the rest of the commit message is the
detailed description / rationale for the patch

Many other GNU projects use this style, but with one further constraint: if you indent the entire commit message, and omit the 2nd (empty) line, the entire commit message must be a valid ChangeLog entry. That way, there's a one-to-one relationship between commit messages and ChangeLog entries, and programs like vc-dwim can be used to generate commits. Projects that use such a style include Coreutils, Gnulib, and GNU Emacs. I suggest using it for glibc as well.