Re: asprintf() issue

Hi Archie, Florian,

On 12 May 2015 at 18:29, Archie Cobbs <archie.cobbs@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 10:11 AM, Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 05/12/2015 05:00 PM, Archie Cobbs wrote:
>>
>>>   https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Dynamic-Output.html
>>>
>>> That link clearly says nothing about *strp on failure.
>>
>> To me, this implies the original value is preserved.

IMO, on this point, "silence" is not a specification; a statement is a
specification.

>> We can add this to
>> the documentation if that makes everyone happy.
>
> Frankly I don't see how saying nothing implies anything, but I'm happy
> to accept your interpretation :)
>
> Please add a sentence to that effect, thanks.
>
> Michael, is that sufficient for you?

It's not a question of what suffices for me. I don't think the glibc
folk normally do specification by fiat, and I assume that such a
change to the glibc manual, which implies a certain tightening of the
spec, will at least need to go through some review process.

Cheers,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk