Re: powerpc __tls_get_addr call optimization

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 08:51:39AM -0700, H.J. Lu wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 8:48 AM, Carlos O'Donell <carlos@redhat.com> wrote:

> >> If the performance difference isn't measurable in real-world
> >> applications, I would think uniformity between targets would be a lot
> >> more valuable.
> >>
> >> I also don't see how your approach is a "direct call". The function
> >> being called is in a different DSO so it has to go through a pointer
> >> in the GOT or similar, in which case it's just as "indirect" as the
> >> TLSDESC call would be.
> >
> > I agree. And this was my initial inclination, but I'm not against what
> > Alan has implemented. As a machine maintainer he should be allowed some
> > leeway to argue this implementation is "N instructions less" and therefore
> > must be faster, but that such speed is harder to show in a microbenchmark,
> > it would in the mean result in say less CPU usage over billions of cycles.
> >
> > IBM has to accept that the downside to all of this is that breakage in
> > this area may take longer to fix, and get less fixes than those arches
> > already using TLS DESC.
>
> Speaking of TLS DESC, are there any tests for TLS DESC in
> glibc?  I never implemented TLS DESC for x32 since I didn't
> find any run-time tests for TLS DESC in GCC nor glibc.

Not that I know of. i386 TLSDESC was broken in binutils for several
years and only recently fixed... Until a couple months ago nobody
noticed. :-(

This situation really should be set right (with proper tests and
timeline for changing the default to TLSDESC) so we can put an end to
the invalid use of IE-model in shared libraries.

Rich