This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
struct msgbuf wrong mtype size on ILP32 and possibly x32
- From: Cyril Hrubis <chrubis at suse dot cz>
- To: libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Cc: kamil at semihalf dot com
- Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 16:57:50 +0100
- Subject: struct msgbuf wrong mtype size on ILP32 and possibly x32
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
I've got a bugreport for LTP that msgrcv and msgsnd are hanging forever
on -mabi=ilp32 (and possibly on x32).
The issue seems to be that sizeof(long) != sizeof(__syscall_slong_t) on
these (which is used to define mtype in glibc headers and likely the
size used in kernel) which is probably the reason for the test hang.
The proposed solution for fixing LTP is to replace the long in the
custom defined msgbuf structures with __syscall_slong_t which is
obviously wrong. Not only it uses glibc internal type but also breaks
I'm pretty sure that this needs to be fixed somewhere in glibc/kernel
because the mtype being long is part of the ABI. Or at least man page
and numerous tutorials on net suggets so.
See for reference the LTP discussion: