This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH] CVE-2014-8121: Fix nss_files file management [BZ#18007]
- From: Andreas Schwab <schwab at suse dot de>
- To: Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat dot com>
- Cc: GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 13:56:39 +0100
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] CVE-2014-8121: Fix nss_files file management [BZ#18007]
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <54EB120A dot 1010202 at redhat dot com> <mvm7fv8hm71 dot fsf at hawking dot suse dot de> <54EB16F2 dot 6030900 at redhat dot com>
Florian Weimer <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
> On 02/23/2015 01:00 PM, Andreas Schwab wrote:
>> Florian Weimer <email@example.com> writes:
>>> Robin Hack discovered that Samba would enter an infinite loop when
>>> processing quota-related requests. It turns out this is a bug in the
>>> nss_files database. Performing a lookup in the middle of an iteration
>>> (say, getwuid between getpwent) effectively resets the file pointer, so
>>> that the iteration starts again from the beginning.
>>> Tested on x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu. Okay to commit?
>> That doesn't fix the bug. It still fails with a nis config.
> Ugh, could you please elaborate?
$ grep ^passwd /etc/nsswitch.conf
Andreas Schwab, SUSE Labs, firstname.lastname@example.org
GPG Key fingerprint = 0196 BAD8 1CE9 1970 F4BE 1748 E4D4 88E3 0EEA B9D7
"And now for something completely different."