This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH] [BZ 17588 13064] Update UTF-8 charmap and width to Unicode 7.0.0
- From: "Carlos O'Donell" <carlos at redhat dot com>
- To: Alexandre Oliva <aoliva at redhat dot com>, Pravin Satpute <psatpute at redhat dot com>
- Cc: Siddhesh Poyarekar <siddhesh at redhat dot com>, Mike FABIAN <mfabian at redhat dot com>, libc-alpha at sourceware dot org, Jens Petersen <petersen at redhat dot com>
- Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 14:02:33 -0500
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] [BZ 17588 13064] Update UTF-8 charmap and width to Unicode 7.0.0
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <573624784 dot 8871393 dot 1416848051220 dot JavaMail dot zimbra at redhat dot com> <orzjb3o7yf dot fsf at free dot home> <s9dy4qir6fu dot fsf at ari dot site> <orfvce7y90 dot fsf at free dot home> <s9d388duu5r dot fsf at ari dot site> <orioh35mbq dot fsf at free dot home> <20141223111038 dot GA5172 at spoyarek dot pnq dot redhat dot com> <119234933 dot 5523688 dot 1422972847328 dot JavaMail dot zimbra at redhat dot com> <or7fvnlbeo dot fsf at livre dot home> <orwq3njuvc dot fsf at livre dot home>
On 02/12/2015 05:18 AM, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>> Regression tested on x86_64-linux-gnu. Ok to install?
Yes, this version is OK to install if you fix all the nits.
Despite complaints that a change in the generator would create
a smaller diff, that doesn't matter to me. You can still review
the output and it is readable (and I used scripts to review the
automatically generated code).
This is a wonderful step up, being able to do `make`, `make check`,
and `make install` from the generators directory is amazing automation!
Way to go team! :-)
>> Unicode 7.0.0 update; added generator scripts.
>> From: Alexandre Oliva <email@example.com>
>> for localedata/ChangeLog
Nit: ChangeLog needs [BZ #xxx] etc.
Nit: This covers bugs 17588, 13064, *AND* 14094.
Nit: Needs a NEWS entry describing this in full glory :-)
>> * unicode-gen/Makefile: New.
Some might argue it fits better under "scripts" e.g. scripts/unicode-gen,
but I don't care. We can move it later if we think it should move at all.
>> * unicode-gen/gen_unicode_ctype.py: New generator.
Nit: Wrong copyright year e.g. 2014 -> 2015.
Nit: We don't use "Contributed by" statements, they are instead pat of what
git records as Author or in the git commit message.
This nit applies to all the files that have "Contributed by"
>> * unicode-gen/ctype_compatibility.py: New verifier.
>> * unicode-gen/ctype_compatibility_test_cases.py: New verifier
>> * unicode-gen/utf8_gen.py: New generator.
>> * unicode-gen/utf8_compatibility: New verifier.
>> * charmaps/UTF-8: Update.
>> * locales/i18n: Update.
Note: Manually verified certain conversions to make sure they matched.
Manual verification passed OK.
>> * gen-unicode-ctype.c: Remove.
>> * tst-ctype-de_DE.ISO-8859-1.in: Adjust, islower now returns
>> true for ordinal indicators.
Nit: This need a specific new BZ for the fix to user-visible behaviour.
Discussed in https://sourceware.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=14094#c34,
but should have a bug of it's own with a comment about why the old
behaviour is wrong, and that the existing regression test covers the
change and has been fixed.