This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: Should glibc provide a builtin C.UTF-8 locale?
- From: "Carlos O'Donell" <carlos at redhat dot com>
- To: Rich Felker <dalias at libc dot org>, keld at keldix dot com
- Cc: GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 22:07:55 -0500
- Subject: Re: Should glibc provide a builtin C.UTF-8 locale?
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <54DB8243 dot 3050903 at redhat dot com> <20150211235304 dot GA20330 at www5 dot open-std dot org> <20150212023923 dot GP23507 at brightrain dot aerifal dot cx>
On 02/11/2015 09:39 PM, Rich Felker wrote:
>> Also a pet idea of mine is to have compressed locales - that could significantly reduce
>> the disk footprint of a more complete locale database. Also good for message catalogues.
> This sounds like a bad tradeoff unless you can use the compressed data
> efficiently in-place. Disk space is cheap; requiring a decompressed
> copy in memory per-process rather than using a shared mapping is