This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH] Initialize the entire obstack struct [BZ #17919]
- From: Andreas Schwab <schwab at suse dot de>
- To: Siddhesh Poyarekar <siddhesh at redhat dot com>
- Cc: "Carlos O'Donell" <carlos at redhat dot com>, bug-gnulib at gnu dot org, libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2015 17:46:36 +0100
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Initialize the entire obstack struct [BZ #17919]
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20150203145649 dot GG1528 at spoyarek dot pnq dot redhat dot com> <54D0F799 dot 2030204 at redhat dot com> <20150203163831 dot GL1528 at spoyarek dot pnq dot redhat dot com>
Siddhesh Poyarekar <email@example.com> writes:
> This is also why I started out filing a gcc bug, but then changed my
> mind and fixed it in glibc instead, since I presumed that the compiler
> can assume that the padding is also appropriately initialized.
No, it can't. Padding must be assumed to be random.
Andreas Schwab, SUSE Labs, firstname.lastname@example.org
GPG Key fingerprint = 0196 BAD8 1CE9 1970 F4BE 1748 E4D4 88E3 0EEA B9D7
"And now for something completely different."