Re: -Werror policy

On 11/25/2014 03:31 AM, Joseph Myers wrote:
On Mon, 24 Nov 2014, Roland McGrath wrote:

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014, Roland McGrath wrote:

Moreover, as a reviewer, I will notice the slot where the explanation is
supposed to be because an empty macro argument or a stubby-looking string
will stick out like a sore thumb and make me remember the whole issue about

I don't think it will - plenty of macros can be used with arguments that
may or may not be empty (or an empty string, etc.).

But ,, or ,"", never passes by my eye without me thinking about what it's for.

I don't think that's generically the case for reviewers.

What about naming a macro DIAG_PUSH_NEEDS_COMMENT or similar?  (I prefer
that to DIAG_IGNORE_NEEDS_COMMENT to avoid risking the version number
field ending up on a separate line from the DIAG_IGNORE_NEEDS_COMMENT word
and so not being readily greppable for.)

Can't we do a simple check in Makefile to verify that comments are not empty? I think many projects do something like this to enforce coding policies.

-Y