Re: Contributing to glibc

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 01:23:13AM +0000, Rogelio Serrano wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 10:49 PM, Bogdan Blidarescu
> <bogdan.blidarescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > This is what I have found so far:
> >
> > http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/4421/Henry-Spencer-s-Regexp-Engine-Revisited
> >
> > ftp://ftp.freefriends.org/arnold/Awkstuff/
> >
> > Cheers!
> >

> Thanks Bogdan!
>
> I also did look at the glibc string function sources but its going to
> take a bit of reading assembler and disassembling test programs to
> understand how they work and why they are fast, or not.

That bit is out-of date for x64 I already optimized most of these so do
not expect much low hanging fruit. Improving these is hard, if you
profile applications you will find that 90% time is spend on strings
less than 64 bytes. I spend some time writing such headers. So you would need
to come with better header and check it improves applications.

You could look on another architectures or convert a x64 to i386
versions that should be relatively easy but time consuming.

--

Party-bug in the Aloha protocol.