Re: Minimum GCC version for building glibc

On Tue, 2014-11-04 at 13:47 -0800, Roland McGrath wrote:
> So I have no strong opinion between requiring 4.6 and requiring 4.7.  AIUI
> the significant issue is that we believe 4.7 will make the atomics cleanups
> that Torvald is pursuing simpler.  I don't really know how much simpler,
> given that the compiler's atomics in 4.7 are still less than perfect.

I think requiring 4.7 wouldn't make it much simpler, especially not
until we get closer to finishing the transition to C11 atomics.

The patches I've sent last week already have a mode in which existing
atomics are used to implement the new atomics, and this is the default
on most archs simply because I want someone to test the implementation
based on __atomic* builtins before enabling that one (and we'd need an
arch maintainer OK too, I think).

Requiring 4.7 would start to become beneficial when it allows us to
remove the then unneeded code.  This would be the case for x86, I guess,
and mips to a partial extent IIRC.  But I don't really know how this
would look for other archs, in particular at which GCC version the
atomics support on a particular arch becomes sufficient.  I also haven't
really looked at what to do when GCC's libatomic would implement certain
atomics (e.g., when the kernel is used) -- should we just use libatomic,
or would we need to keep rolling our own.