Re: [RFC] How to add vector math functions to Glibc

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 10:55 AM, Carlos O'Donell <carlos@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 09/26/2014 12:08 PM, H.J. Lu wrote:
>>> I think this chioce may actually be larger than just Intel.
>>>
>>> For example IBM, and particularly their Power vector math
>>> functions were explained to me as being callable directly
>>> by developers. Thus Power might want libmvec.so in glibc?
>>
>> Does Power have the same API as x86?  If not, how will they
>> be used by programmers?
>
> Power does not have the same API.
>
> I expect that David Edhelson was talking about these:
> http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/compbg/v121v141/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.xlcpp121.bg.doc%2Fproguide%2Fvector.html
>
> Though I haven't verified.
>
>> Again, we need to decide
>>
>> 1. Who is the main user.
>
> Normal developers.

This isn't the same as the goal list at

https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/libm#Addition_of_x86_64_vector_math_functions_to_Glibc

which says:

3.1. Goal

Main goal is utilize of SIMD constructs in OpenMP4.0 (#2.8 in
http://www.openmp.org/mp-documents/OpenMP4.0.0.pdf and Cilk Plus (#6-8
in http://www.cilkplus.org/sites/default/files/open_specifications/Intel_Cilk_plus_lang_spec_1.2.htm)
on x86_64 by adding vector implementations of several vector math
functions (float and double versions).

which is pretty much targeting compiler.

--
H.J.