Re: glibc 2.20 status?

On 09/03/2014 11:06 AM, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Sep 2014, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>
>> Allan,
>>
>> What's the status of 2.20?
>>
>> Are -Wundef fixes and machine maintainer testing
>> all that blocks the release?
>
> I think the -Wundef fixes are far too risky to include at this point.
> They should go in (once reviewed) early in development for 2.21 so that
> there is plenty of time for any subtle issues to emerge before they enter
> a release.  And I don't think we should be blocking things on lack of
> machine status now either; there's been plenty of time for machine
> maintainers to provide their status.

Two issues:

(1) -Wundef fixes.

The release is delayed for several reasons including summer vacations,
slow release maintainer response (see previous point), and a desire
to have the mechanical -Wundef fixes completed as part of 2.20.
Fixing -Wundef in 2.20 was purely a psychological mind-game we played
with ourselves. I don't think we have to checkin any more -Wundef
fixes unless we think they are OK, and I agree they should not block
the release.

I'll re-raise this point in another email.

(2) Machine status.

I'd like to see NACK's from the machine matainers at a minimum that
they do *not* care about 2.20 enough to test their machines.

For example Chris seems to want 2.20 to have tile support and is
hoping to have the issue fixed today.

I'm about to commit Roland's changes from his nptl-hppa branch
which touches only hppa and lets me post build results.

Cheers,
Carlos.