Re: Distributions still suffering from s390 ABI change problems.

From: "Carlos O'Donell" <carlos@redhat.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 16:43:43 -0400

> I've never slouched from doing work. I see no serious technical reasons
> for not bumping the soname other than breaking tooling that explicitly
> always looks for libc.so.6. It would do us well to fixup such tooling
> to actually look at the binary to see what libc it's using by examining
> DT_NEEDED.

Yes, I certainly agree that we should see such opportunities as ways
to flush out the tools which have these problems.

> Should we bump the soname for glibc on s390?

As you have already stated, we're already in a pickle because the ABI
change has been deployed as libc.so.6

So at this point, such a cure may already be worse than the disease.

Therefore, on the negative side, we might be stuck with this.  But, on
the positive side, we can refer to this incident next time a similar
incident arises.  We now know exactly what the ramifications are for
not handling this properly.