Re: The 2.20 release code freeze is very near

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 02, 2014 at 08:05:06PM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The code freeze for the glibc-2.20 release was scheduled for July 1st.
> I realise there are still a few things that have appeared on the mailing
> list that are desirable for this release as listed on the wiki page [1].
>
> So this is not a freeze, but it should be getting quite cold...
> Consider whether your changes can wait until 2.21.

On the debian side, we are fighting with the s390x jmp_buf change done
in 2.19 (commit 93a45ff1). At the beginning it seemed to be only a few
packages to be affected, but more we go more we have issues. Among the
packages with a lot of reverse dependencies, we have already found that
perl and libpng are affected. This start to be difficult to handle.

As the ABI has clearly changed, I do wonder if we could change the
soname in release 2.20, for example to libc.so.6.1 like on a few other
architectures.

Any opinion?

Aurelien