Re: Security impact of nscd and NSS module bugs (particularly NIS)

On Thu, Jul 03, 2014 at 02:30:38PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> It's quite difficult to for me to determine the security impact of bugs in
> ncsd.  We have quite a few crashers under heavy load (threading issues,
> cache size leading to stack overflows etc.).  What's the real-world impact
> of an nscd crash?  Is there a functionality impact if in-process NSS modules
> are used?  (Let's ignore broken modules such as the the old nss_ldap
> module.)

nscd crashes would only mean degraded service.  Depending on the
service it is caching, the degradation may range from insignificant to
quite serious.

> The other difficulty in this area is NIS.  If we have a buffer overflow in
> processing data from NIS, is this a security bug?  As far as I can tell, NIS
> is mostly used for accounts, so a malicious server could just serve an
> account with UID=0, so it's not obvious me that a trust boundary is crossed
> (which is required for a security vulnerability).

I don't know enough about this to make a useful comment.

> PS: Our friendly Bugzilla admins disabled notifications for security-
> transactions.  Thanks!

Thanks for this; I have been working around it by labeling all
glibc-bugs emails.

Siddhesh