Re: zonefile changes and long running processes.

On 05/02/2014 01:22 AM, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>> Is this a "flaw" in glibc's support or it simply a pedantic issue
>> that systems developers think about and everyone else reboots
>> after a tzdata upgrade?
>
> A bit of both, I expect.  In practice, tzdata updates typically
> affect so few files that it's OK to leave servers running even with
> stale data.  Unless you care about the current time in Simferopol,
> for example, it's OK if your server hasn't rebooted since Russia
> annexed Crimea. Conversely, if you care about the current time in
> Donetsk, quite possibly you can't rely on tzdata anyway, so why be
> pedantic?

What about the a polling design using tzset? I assume that might be
a "best practice" way to solve this problem without causing all other
applications that don't care to wast CPU cycles checking for changed
files (though inotify is pretty good).

Cheers,
Carlos.