Re: [RFC] Make _FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 default.

Rich Felker <dalias@aerifal.cx> writes:

> Do you have a link to INN? The name isn't exactly googlable... In any
> case, they probably should just deprecate the non-64-bit build since
> other things are likely broken too (e.g. if they use stat) and add
> automatic file format conversion if they don't already have it..

http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/inn/ has the most resources at the
moment, although the official home page is at ISC.

The automatic format conversion is the hard part that no one has written
yet.  The history file format (which uses the old dbz data format), the
tradindexed overview backend, and the timecaf storage backend are
affected.  CNFS was written properly and is not affected.  For history and
tradindexed, only the indices are affected and those are relatively easy
to rebuild, so those aren't a huge problem for a one-time conversion.
timecaf is more of a problem and really needs a conversion tool.

I completely agree with you that the non-64-bit build mode should be
deprecated.  I even wrote the following comment in configure.ac years and
years ago, before I ran out of time to work on INN:

dnl Whether to use the OS flags to enable large file support.  Ideally this
dnl should just always be turned on if possible and the various parts of INN
dnl that read off_t's from disk should adjust somehow to the size, but INN
dnl isn't there yet.  Currently tagged hash doesn't work with large file
dnl support due to assumptions about the size of off_t.

(I'm not sure anyone actually uses the tagged hash history storage method
any more.)

Debian already has separate inn2 and inn2-lfs packages and will have to do
some sort of migration because Perl is built with LFS support and there's
no way for the non-64-bit INN to link with the LFS libperl (the only
libperl available in Debian) without all sorts of weird problems, since
Perl sizes several of its ABI data structures based on the size of off_t.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@eyrie.org)              <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>