Re: Problems with evolving feature test macros?

On Tue 11 Mar 2014 18:58:30 Michael Kerrisk wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 5:49 PM, Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu> wrote:
> > On 03/11/2014 09:33 AM, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
> >> I have no specific examples to cite.
> >
> > Likewise for most developers of portable software, which is why this is a
> > non-issue for them.  Feature-test macros don't suffice for portable
> > software, and typically aren't even helpful; they mostly just get in the
> > way..
>
> Well, given that perspective, why go through the current effort trying
> to tidy things up/

you mean on the glibc side ?  because the C library needs to support a variety
of standards, and if someone says they need a specific level of conformance,
it'd be better that we don't leak in other things (and in some cases, leaking
extra stuff would violate the standard requested).
-mike