Re: Release branch maintenance - Was: glibc 2.19 status?

On Sat, Feb 01, 2014 at 12:16:06PM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:

> I'd like to have it set up so that the only thing the release branch
> maintainer needs to do is decide when to cut a new release.  To achieve
> that, I'd like the distro maintainers to take any patch they pull from
> master into their package and commit it onto the relevant release
> branch.

We (both Debian and Ubuntu) pull a *lot* of patches from master back
into stables and I'll admit that I've been monumentally bad about
committing those on the upstream branch when we do.  I suppose the
thought has been that I'm often not even sure if anyone other than
us is using the branch in question, so there may not be much shared
benefit to committing back, but if we all got into the habit, it'd
certainly make stable maintenance easier, even if we didn't update
from the stable branches directly.  Getting an overview of what fixes
others deemed important would be helpful.

I'll certainly try to improve our performance on this in the future.

... Adam