Re: The direction of malloc?

On 12/13/2013 05:29 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 12/10/2013 05:49 PM, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
>> I don't know about the resolver code from BIND, a substantial body
>> of code that I think*is*  maintained upstream of glibc but was last
>> updated from upstream in glibc 2.2 (according to the NEWS file,
>> anyway).
>
> Do you mean netresolv?
>
> <http://wiki.netbsd.org/individual-software-releases/netresolv/>
>
> This effort doesn't seem to have materialized yet, and I think ISC's
> 2009 code drop was just extracted unchanged from the unmaintained
> libbind from BIND 8 that still shipped with BIND 9 releases at the
> time.

I don't even know how we legally bring in the BIND 9 code.

I see nowhere that it's assigned to the FSF, and it's not LGPLv2.

Some serious legal wrangling would have to be done with the FSF
at each import IMO.

Roland,

In the past did we just ask the FSF for permission to use the
bind code? How hard was that process?

Cheers,
Carlos.