This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [RFC] Deprecating mtrace?
- From: OndÅej BÃlka <neleai at seznam dot cz>
- To: "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 20:17:54 +0100
- Subject: Re: [RFC] Deprecating mtrace?
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20131103185737 dot GA29145 at domone dot podge> <Pine dot LNX dot 4 dot 64 dot 1311031859260 dot 16907 at digraph dot polyomino dot org dot uk>
On Sun, Nov 03, 2013 at 07:01:07PM +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Nov 2013, Ondrej Bilka wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Does someone still use mtrace when valgrind is better and faster?
> And doesn't support most of the platforms glibc does.
>From valgrind homepage
It runs on the following platforms: X86/Linux, AMD64/Linux, ARM/Linux,
PPC32/Linux, PPC64/Linux, S390X/Linux, MIPS32/Linux, MIPS64/Linux,
ARM/Android (2.3.x and later), X86/Android (4.0 and later), X86/Darwin
and AMD64/Darwin (Mac OS X 10.7, with limited support for 10.8).
Please state which are platforms that are supported by glibc and
improtant programs running only on that platform needs mtrace
> > Comments?
> It's always inappropriate to deprecate a documented public interface
> without updating the documentation (not that I think this deprecation
> makes sense anyway).
of course this is starting point as also NEWS should be updated.