This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH] Remove configure checks for and automatic running of autoconf
- From: Roland McGrath <roland at hack dot frob dot com>
- To: Allan McRae <allan at archlinux dot org>
- Cc: "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph at codesourcery dot com>, libc-alpha at sourceware dot org, Carlos O'Donell <carlos at redhat dot com>
- Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 16:17:55 -0700 (PDT)
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Remove configure checks for and automatic running of autoconf
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1381895254-9422-1-git-send-email-allan at archlinux dot org> <Pine dot LNX dot 4 dot 64 dot 1310161204330 dot 10873 at digraph dot polyomino dot org dot uk> <526122BA dot 8090308 at archlinux dot org>
> Can we come to some compromise here that gets rid of the autoconf check
> in configure but still has make rules?
Getting rid of the old configure check is fine.
The modern GNU norm for these sorts of things is --enable-maintainer-mode.
Making that toggle AUTOCONF=no vs AUTOCONF=autoconf in configure is the
straightforward way to keep the good aspects of the existing makefile rules.