This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [RFC] Make getenv O(1)
- From: Alexander Monakov <amonakov at ispras dot ru>
- To: Ondřej Bílka <neleai at seznam dot cz>
- Cc: Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat dot com>, Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal dot cx>, libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 17:46:57 +0400 (MSK)
- Subject: Re: [RFC] Make getenv O(1)
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20131014155229 dot GA25159 at domone dot podge> <20131014165411 dot GZ20515 at brightrain dot aerifal dot cx> <20131014172852 dot GA26005 at domone dot podge> <52611F60 dot 3080700 at redhat dot com> <20131018124013 dot GA15803 at domone dot podge> <alpine dot LNX dot 2 dot 00 dot 1310181656380 dot 3212 at monopod dot intra dot ispras dot ru> <20131018132604 dot GA16445 at domone dot podge>
On Fri, 18 Oct 2013, Ondřej Bílka wrote:
> You could argue that this does not help when likely case is that
> variable is not defined. For that I would need posix say that changing
> variable name via environ pointers is illegal.
Indeed; I would also ask if such functions are allowed to query interesting
environment variables once on first call and then cache the result (similar to
how the dynamic linker stashes initial LD_LIBRARY_PATH on the side and calls
to dlopen do not check the environment again).