This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH] Don't use gethostbyaddr to determine canonical name
- From: Siddhesh Poyarekar <siddhesh at redhat dot com>
- To: Andreas Schwab <schwab at suse dot de>
- Cc: libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 20:01:16 +0530
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Don't use gethostbyaddr to determine canonical name
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <mvm1u3lbhvj dot fsf at hawking dot suse dot de>
On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 01:00:16PM +0200, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> As explained in the PR, it is wrong to try to determine the canonical
> name from the IP address. The sole purpose of AI_CANONNAME is to look
> at a CNAME record if it exists, and using the name argument unchanged if
> * sysdeps/posix/getaddrinfo.c (gaih_inet): Don't use gethostbyaddr
> to determine canonical name.
Looks good to me too. This patch has been in Fedora for a while
now, so it is also well tested.
Of course, you would know that since you had committed it :)