This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH] Remove configure checks for and automatic running of autoconf
- From: "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Allan McRae <allan at archlinux dot org>
- Cc: <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 12:06:11 +0000
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Remove configure checks for and automatic running of autoconf
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1381895254-9422-1-git-send-email-allan at archlinux dot org>
On Wed, 16 Oct 2013, Allan McRae wrote:
> These checks used to be run when using --with-cvs but were left in
> when that option was removed. Remove these checks as regeneration
> of the configure file should be consciously performed. This also
> stops the generation of autom4te.cache in the source directory
> while building, allowing the relevant entry to be removed from
Please don't remove the Makefile rules for regenerating configure scripts.
It should be possible to use "make" to regenerate any generated file in
the source tree, ideally. The makefile rules are what defines the correct
commands and options to use for regeneration; nothing else does.
The only problem is the modification of the source tree *when the scripts
and their timestamps are up to date*.
Joseph S. Myers