This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: support for version-3 format tz binary files
- From: "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Paul Eggert <eggert at cs dot ucla dot edu>
- Cc: GNU C Library development <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 12:06:50 +0000
- Subject: Re: support for version-3 format tz binary files
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <523A1BCD dot 5090609 at cs dot ucla dot edu>
On Wed, 18 Sep 2013, Paul Eggert wrote:
> In the next four messages I'll send patches to document the
> existing glibc support for the new version-3-format tz binary files,
> and to add support for one version-3 feature that's currently missing.
> I haven't tested these changes, unfortunately, as I understand it's
> hard to build and install glibc, but the patches should be
We fixed the most obvious issues making it hard for new people to build
glibc some time ago:
* GNU/Linux distribution compilers defaulting to -fstack-protector or
-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE are automatically handled.
* 32-bit x86 compilers defaulting to -march=i686 work fine instead of
causing problems with symbol names in .S files containing __i686.
* 32-bit x86 compilers defaulting to -march-i386 produce an error at
configure time rather than a cryptic link failure.
So, you should ignore any old reputation of being hard to build. If you
have actual problems with
(install any needed distribution packages)
/some/where/configure --prefix=/usr --enable-add-ons
(beyond any of the known testsuite failures as listed at
<https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Release/2.18>), the libc-help list can
help advise on resolving build problems.
In any case, if a submitted patch isn't reviewed within a week or so, then
please ping it, and keep pinging approximately weekly. (But people are
more likely to review if they only need to review, not test as well as
I am operating under the presumption the files in timezone/ that (as per
the README there) come from tzcode should not be updated until this patch
series is in.
Joseph S. Myers